The Human Rights Relief and Revolving Fund was established in 1995. The Ministry of Human Rights administers Human Rights Relief and Revolving Funds. Through these funds financial assistance is provided to the victims and affectees of human rights violation including kidnapping, rape, police encounters, arrest of women, extra-judicial deaths and tortures. Applications are received directly from the victims, NGOs and through Regional Directorates of Human Rights.
- Purpose and objective of the Fund: The preliminary purpose of this Fund, defined in its procedure, is to provide legal and financial assistance to the victims and affectees of human rights violation. For the purpose of this Fund violation means cases involving kidnapping, rape, police encounters, arrest of women, extra-judicial deaths and tortures.
- Procedure for Disbursement: The following procedure has been laid down to disburse the Human Rights Relief and Revolving Fund to victims and affectees of human rights violations.
(a) One time of Maximum of Rs. 10,000 on account of medical charges to the hospitals or patients for the victims and affectees whose human rights have been violated.
(b) One time grant of Maximum of Rs. 20,000 to the victims of human rights violations who have been permanently incapacitated due to the injury for rehabilitation.
(c) Expenditure to investigate the human rights violations through the human rights activists engaged by Human Rights Cell. The expenditure on this account would not exceed ten percent. (10%) of budget allocation to the Fund during one financial year.
(d) Financial assistance to deserving orphans (all orphans or only those affected by human rights violations) and affectees of human rights violations subject to a maximum of Rs 10,000 per year.
- Authority to operate the Fund: - A committee comprising of following members operates the Fund in accordance with the financial powers delegated to it by the Secretary, Ministry of Human Rights.
- Director General (Human Rights) Chairman
- Director (Human Rights) Member
- Deputy Secretary (Admn) Member
- Deputy Financial Advisor. Member
- Deputy Director (HR) Secretary/Member