DIRECTORATE GENERAL OF SPECIAL EDUCATION
Directorate General of Special Education (DGSE) was established in 1985 as an attached department of the Ministry of Health, Social Welfare & Special Education through a Directive of the President of Islamic Republic of Pakistan. Afterwards in August, 2019 DGSE was transferred to Ministry of Human Rights as its attached department. After 18th amendment the DGSE is now functioning at ICT Level only.
The mandate of DGSE is to provide:-
- To Rehabilitate Persons with Disabilities (PWDs)
The DGSE is performing following major functions:-
- To establish model institutions for rehabilitation, special education and training, community based rehabilitation, pre-vocational training and vocational skills development for persons with disabilities
- Awareness raising and training to the professionals and public
- To prepare and execute policy and plans for Persons with Disabilities
- Medical treatment and rehabilitation services for Persons with Disabilities
The DGSE is rendering following services through its Special Education Centre/ Institutions/ Offices:-
- Assessment, Diagnosis and Referral Services for children with disabilities
- Academic/ Educational and Vocational/ Technical Trainings (Primary, Secondary, Higher Secondary and Degree level)
- Free transport facility for students
- In-service training for professionals in the field of special education
- Specialized Hearing Assessment, Speech Therapy, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy & Music Therapy
- Braille, Mobility Training and Daily Living Skills
- Pre-vocational & Vocational Training
- Curriculum Development and Modification for Differently-abled Persons
- Model/ Mobile Library
- Promoting sports and recreational activities
- Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR)
- Free boarding & lodging
PRESENT PICTURE OF DGSE
Following Special Education Centres/ Institutions’ are presently working under the Directorate General of Special Education, Islamabad
- Rehabilitation Center for Children with Developmental Disorders, H-8/4, Islamabad
- National Special Education Centre for Hearing Impaired Children, H-9/4, Islamabad. (up to Graduation level)
- National Special Education Centre for Visually Handicapped Children, G-7/2, Islamabad
- National Special Education Centre for Physically Handicapped Children, G-8/4, Islamabad
- National Training Centre for Special Persons, G-9/2, Islamabad.
- National Institute of Special Education, H-8/4, Islamabad.
- National Braille Press, G-7/2, Islamabad
- National Library and Resource Centre, F-7 Markaz, Islamabad
- National Mobility and Independence Training Centre, H-8/4, Islamabad
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment of Disabled Persons, H-8/4, Islamabad
- Resource Unit for Autistic Children, H-8/4, Islamabad
- Orthopedic Workshop, G-8/4, Islamabad
- Pilot Project for Inclusive Education for Children with Disability in Public & Private Schools at ICT
- Launched DGSE App for Differently Abled Persons, 2020.
- Prepared Braille Text instructions for persons with visual impairment by providing safety measures in the wake of Covid-19, 2020.
- Prepared guidelines for prevention of Covid-19 in Sign language for Persons with Hearing Impairment, 2020.
- A total of 5516 Health Care Services, Physiotherapy Sessions 3612, Speech Therapy Sessions 3348, Audiology Services 1314 provided to the enrolled students.
- The National Institute of Special Education has provided in service training to 5811 participants in 100 training/ courses/ Seminars.
- Vocational Rehabilitation Employment Disabled Persons (VREDP) is extending outreach services to PWDs of ICT assuring their economic empowerment and vocational rehabilitation by opting community based rehabilitation approach. Considering the mandate, VREDP total registration 237, referral cases 173 imparted training to 58 PWDs, 19 were placed on income generation. In addition 10 disability awareness/ medical camps were organized in different localities of ICT and 425 people were attended including PWDs, their parents, care givers and general public. Moreover, 35 PWDs were provided assistive devices to be the part of society.
- The National Mobility & Independence Training Centre has provided training to 2628 participants/ beneficiaries in 34 training/ courses.
- National Training Centre for Special Persons has organized Six Week Graphic Designing Course in collaboration with NOWPDP to equip the trainees with latest market oriented trends and skill development. Moreover, more than 200 Health Cards were distributed amongst the student of all SECs through Sehat Sahulat Program.
- The National Braille Press has transcribed 491 text books of different classes into Braille for visually handicapped children.
- National Library and Resource Centre, Islamabad established Mobile Library for the provision of orientation, awareness, education and other library services for disabled persons total 19619 persons benefited till date.
- Up-gradation of National Special Education Centre for Hearing Impaired Children from Higher Secondary to Graduation level H-9/4, Islamabad.
- Establishment of Orthopedic Workshop at National Special Education Centre for Physically Handicapped Children, G-8/4, Islamabad. A number of 286 artificial limbs are provided to persons with physical disability.
- Establishment of Resource Unit for Autistic Children at Rehabilitation Centre for Children with Developmental Disorder H-8/4, Islamabad. A number of 36 students are taking education in this Centre.
- CELEBRATION OF 14TH AUGUST 2021: A function was organized by Directorate General of Special Education to celebrate Independence day with zealous harmony and enthusiasm at National Institute of Special Education. Mr. Lal Chand Malhi, Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Human Rights graced the occasion as the “Chief Guest”. Health Cards were distributed among the Children with Disabilities by the Chief Guest.
- This year “International White Cane Safety Day” was celebrated on 15th October, 2021 at National Institute of Special Education H-8/4, Islamabad. During the occasion the Chief Guest Mr. Muhammad Arshad Director General, Ministry of Human Rights Islamabad, addressed and highlighted the issues about special children/persons and the jobs quota of the special persons. Director General (SE) Sheikh Azhar Sajjad, also addressed the event and appreciated the measures taken by the Govt.
- Ministry of Human Rights (Directorate General of Special Education) celebrated International Day of Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) on 3rd December, 2021. The DGSE organized a grand ceremony for Persons with Disabilities (PWDs), their parents, teachers, friends, representatives of DPOs; NGOs: INGOS; civil society and community on 3rd December, 2021 (Friday) at Aiwan-e-Sadr, Islamabad. The theme of the day for 2021 was “Leadership and Participation of Persons with Disabilities towards an Inclusive, accessible and sustainable post-COVID-19 World”. His Excellency President of Islamic Republic of Pakistan was the Chief Guest of ceremony.
ON GOING SCHEME / PROJECT
- Up-gradation of National Special Education Centre for Visually Handicapped Children, Islamabad
- Pilot Project for Inclusive Education for Children with Disability in Public & Private Schools at ICT Islamabad
- Feasibility Study for Establishment of Rehabilitation Centre for Multiple Disabilities at Primary Level at H-11, Islamabad.
- Establishment of Project Planning and Monitoring Unit (PMU) in Directorate General of Special Education
CONVERSION OF FOLLOWING 03 DEVELOPMENT SCHEMES INTO NON-DEVELOPMENT
- Up-gradation of NSEC for HIC from Higher Secondary to Graduation Level, H-9/4, Islamabad.
- Establishment of Orthopedic Workshop at National Special Education Centre for Physically Handicapped Children, G-8/4, Islamabad
- Establishment of Resource Unit for Autistic Children at Rehabilitation Centre for Children with Developmental Disorder H-8/4, Islamabad