NINE LEGISLATIONS DRAFTED & UNDER PROCESS
- ICT Rights of Persons with Disability Bill, 2018, prepared by the Ministry of Human Rights, introduced in National Assembly Dec 21st 2018. Bill is with the National Assembly Standing Committee on Human Rights.
- The Zainab Alert, Response and Recovery Bill, 2019drafted. With National Assembly’s Standing Committee on Human Rights.
- Torture, Custodial Death and Custodial Rape (Prevention and Punishment) Bill, 2018, prepared by MoHR placed before CCLC on 6th February, 2019. Legal vetting of Bill awaited.
- Christian Marriage and Divorce Bill, 2019drafted after consultation. Sent to Cabinet for in principle approval.
- ICT Domestic Violence (Prevention and Protection) Bill, 2019 drafted & sent to Cabinet for in principle approval.
- Islamabad Capital Territory Senior Citizen Bill, 2019.Cabinet accorded in principle approval. Bill with Law Division for vetting.
- The Prohibition of Corporal Punishment Bill, 2019 drafted & with Ministry of Interior.
- Establishment of Legal Aid and Justice Authority BIll:Bill drafted & approved by Standing Committee on law.
- Bill on criminalization of Enforced Disappearances. Bill drafted & given to Law Division for vetting
IMPLEMENTATION OF LAWS:
- Set up of National Commission on the Rights of the Child Act, 2017under process.
- The ICT Child Protection Act, 2018. ICT Child Protection Board notified.
- Set up of National Commission on the Rights of the Child Act, 2017. Under process
- Constituted National Committee for Implementation of Transgender persons (Protection of Rights) Act 2018. Organized TOT at Islamabad for the members of the Committee
- The Juvenile Justice System Act, 2018Rules under finalization.
RESEARCH AND SURVEYS
- ConductedResearch Study on Legal Framework of Human Rights in Pakistan:RSIL Report final
- National Child Labour Survey launchedafter 23 years on 25th March, 2019. Survey will be completed in Dec 2020
- Human Rights Survey on Aged Persons in Pakistan completed.
- Beijing + Report concluded submitted to MoFA
- UNCRPD Report concluded & submitted to MoFA
- ICCPR Follow Up Report concluded & submitted tp MoFA
- ICESCR Follow Up Report concluded & submitted tp MoFA
- Reconstituted Board of Governors under Women in Distress and Detention Fund: Fund set up in 1996 but not operational due to large Board. MoHR amended Bill & changed Board of Governors on July 24th 2019.
- Amended Diyat, Arsh and Daman Fund Rules 2007:Revised age limit to 40 years thus opening way for greater utilization of funds.
- High level consultative Committee on Child Abuse & Beggary constitutedwith parliamentarians & police.As a mechanism for awareness, redressal and future strategies on child welfare and protection, the committee members comprise Minister Human Rights, IG Police ICT and three PTI MNAs from Islamabad.
- Committee to review Mercy Petitions held. Digital MP form developed to accommodate juvenility & medical condition of prisoner. Draft With MOI
HUMAN RIGHTS EDUCATION, SENSITIZATION & AWARENESS
- Public Awareness Campaigns on Human Rights:
- Women’s inheritance
- Child Abuse
- Child Labor
- Child achievers
- Awareness on prevention of Child abuse in Schoolsconducted & ongoing.
- Sensitization of Police officialson human Rights & Transgender issues ongoing.
- Training of Judiciary on Human Rightsstarted withSindh Judicial Academy.
- UNCRDP Capacity building workshops for Provincial & Regional Governments (GB and AJK) concluded.
- Awareness about Pakistani prisoners in foreign jails. Report solicited from MoFA.
MONITORING HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS:
- Monitoring of Human Rights Violations:During year 2018-19,5795 cases of human rights violations and taken.
- Redressal of complaints received on Pakistan Citizen Portal:8227 complaints received & addressed on Pakistan Citizen Portal.
- Financial Assistance to the victims of human rights violations:During FY 2018-19, 214 victims of human rights violations were given the financial assistance under this fund.
- Helpline 1099 received 380,000 calls. Approximately 36000 calls were eligible for free legal advice & referral for redress of human Rights violations. Some 222 Pro Bono lawyers registered with Helpline 1099 for legal assistance.
- An Action Plan on Child Abuse prepared
- Action Plan on Religious Harmony prepared.
- Women Empowerment Package prepared.
- Minimum Quality Care Standards for Child Care Institutions drafted
- Interagency Protocol on Child Abuse for Child Care Institutions at ICT levelunder process.
- HRMIS under process with UNDP
- Business & Human Rights under process
- Collaboration with Sindh Madrassatul Islam University Karachi to introduce subject of Human Rights at undergraduate level.